Monday, October 21, 2013

What is BellotteFit?

BellotteFit: (noun) a form of fitness that is brought on by major household projects, encompassing shoveling, swinging a pick-and-mattock or sledgehammer, and moving up to 15 cubic yards of sand by wheelbarrow. 

BellotteFit is not for the faint of heart, and if done daily for three months you will see some INSANE arms and back muscle.  You may be asking yourself, why would anyone choose to do this?  Great question. Let me explain. 

It all started when we bought our house.  The house had been poorly maintained and the backyard was a combination of dirt, weeds and a random brick grill that was falling apart.  In essence it was an empty canvas, for eager, young and naive home buyers. 


So after months of saving money and discussing what we were going to do we narrowed it down to:
1. Remove the brick grill (sledgehammer and wheelbarrow)
2. Insert a 600 square foot patio with 6 inch support depth of gravel and sand (shoveling, wheelbarrow, moving lots of concrete patio pavers)
3. Trench 200 feet of french drain pipes to allow for proper drainage (shoveling, pick and mattock)
4. Build a 10x12 foot shed with a concrete pad to keep the fire ants at bay (shoveling, wheelbarrow)
5. Sod and Sprinkler System installed (THANK GOODNESS WE HIRED SOMEONE FOR THIS!)

There were days when I didn't think we would make it.  On those days we had to find something to laugh about, so we came up with calling it BellotteFit and only we could be "Bellotte Strong." Trust me after literally shoveling for at least an hour a day for 3 months straight, it is easy to go a bit crazy. Unfortunately I am missing some of the really good during photos, but you can use your imagination with the information above.



Despite all the work, it was so worth it!  Not only did I get infinitely stronger, I have the gratification of knowing a job well done!  I cannot wait to buy amazing patio furniture and hang out in my backyard all winter and spring while the weather is fabulous in Texas. 


 
I wish I had a better photo, but when I swapped my iPhone for a Samsung, I lost all my photos.  If it weren't dark outside I would go take one from a different angle.  Oh well... In the end I would have to say I <3 BellotteFit, and I am so happy it is over!

No comments:

Post a Comment